Thursday, May 7, 2009

I climbed the Great Wall!

That's what it says on the souvenir T-shirts we bought because that's exactly what we did. And when I say climb, I mean climb. We couldn't do the normal tourist thing and go out to the designated Great Wall tourist area, take a picture, and be done. Nope. Instead we opted for a full day excursion that included a trek along 7 miles of the Great Wall. It felt like 7 miles of stairs - straight up. It is every bit as beautiful as any pictures you've seen. Yejun He, a scientist from XOS, accompanied us on the trip where we found out he was affraid of heights. I don't think he'll be doing that trip again anytime soon. Seriously though, I understand the tactical advantage of building fortifications on the mountain tops, but what kind of of crazy people actually do it.

Hannah made a BFF in her Chinese Sherpa that led her safely along treacherous parts of the wall. (Actually it was a local farmer who was trying to be helpful so we would buy cold bottles of water and souveniers)







No comments: