Sunday, June 7, 2009

Camp Out, Piano Recital, Baseball

A week ago Friday night Parker headed out with the Scouts on a several mile overnight hiking trip (he's next to the guy with the yellow hood on). One small snag in the trip was when they found out the tent they brought for Parker and another kid didn't have poles. They tied the tent to some trees to hold it up and it seemed to work OK. You have to ask why are there tents in the scout closet with no poles!?!
Everyone came back with no injuries. This was a nice picture of Parker before they headed off. I don't get many good pictures of him (awake and smiling).
Saturday morning I took a couple of the Young Women to plant a garden for a sister in the ward (my 3rd garden planted this year, but who's counting - luckily one was mine). Then home to quickly shower and head off to Bryson's Piano Recital. He did wonderfully as usual. He's really talented if he chooses to continue with his music. He loves to write songs, both music and lyrics, although he hasn't combined the two. He writes music to express feeling through the song, and lyrics to express feeling through poems to a familiar tune.

Oh, yeah. It was my recital, too. Yes, I take piano lessons. I am a painfully slow learner, but I'm getting good enough to play cool stuff, now, so it's getting fun. I love to play, but I get really nervous doing it in front of people. It will be a while yet before I'm good enough to play hymns out of the hymn book, but I'm slowly plugging away at it.
Our piano teacher is Wendy Blood from our Ward (congregation). She's an amazing musician and does a great job supporting us in our efforts to learn.

Then we were off to Baseball again. Didn't win, but Bryson played well at pitcher, shortstop, and centerfield.

No comments: