We started off Utah's Pioneer Day in Cedar City with a 1 mile run/walk down main street. Even with a baby, cheap stroller, backpack, and jeans, Melissa beat everyone over the finish line by a wide margin. I guess all those years of training haven't worn off even after two babies.

Then we watched the parade down mainstreet. Only in Utah do you dress your kids up like jello!

Or make a parade float out of food storage! lol!

Then we headed to Parowan for an ametur family rodeo. When I was young my Dad would take us to the West Jordan parade around Pioneer Day. Often we'd stay for the fireworks that followed and watch them sitting of the roof of the old Travelall (precurser to today's Suburban). One summer I was convinced that I wanted to be a rodeo clown when I grew up. I practiced my dodge and weave moves in the backyard. Anyway, I looked forward to going to a rodeo with him again. Little did we know the rodeo was accepting entries for children in mutton busting. Of course we had to enter Bryson. I mean how often does an opportunity like this come along.


If he stayed on for 7 seconds, he would have received a free hamburger and soda. Unfortunately, he only lasted about half that before sliding off the side and taking the sheep down with him. He managed to walk away with a hoof scratch down his leg and on his chest. How cool. His first Rodeo injuries!
After the rodeo we headed into Parowan to see some of our historic family history sites. Including the Old Rock Church that is now a museum and then to a park with this monument to our 3rd Great Grandfather, George A. Smith, who was sent to found Parowan.

Then we headed out to the Parowan Gap petroglyphs. This is a place David's Dad frequented for field trips as a kid.


The day wasn't complete without a campfire back at the rental house and then fireworks for those of us who live in states where doing your own firework is illegal.

Nell, my Dad, and Kaylie

Fireworks!

Melissa's husband, Bryan, and Renae.
No comments:
Post a Comment