Wednesday, October 15, 2008

School Board Presidents need to watch what they say

For those that don't know, David was elected to our local School Board 3 years ago. Right at the beginning of his tenure, a State audit discovered the former Superintendent had been misusing school funds. Throw in a teacher having inappropriate relations with a student and it was quite an exciting first year. At the beginning of his second year, he was elected School Board President. Since then it hasn't been quite as rough, although they are currently operating with an interim Superintendent and an interim Elementary School Principal while they try to fill those positions.

Anyway, I just ran across an interesting article from back in February that was reporting on the School Board's discussion about whether they should shorten the School Board member's tenure from 5 years to 3 or 4. Unfortunately the reporter accurately captured David's comment.

Gibson, the board president, who had been a proponent of three years, said, "If people think it takes three or four years to be competent, I have to wonder what kind of fools elected me to be president in my second year."
(The Altamont Enterprise, February 21, 2008)

I think David offended the School Board and the entire Voorheesville voting public with that one. David's comment after seeing what was printed in the paper was, "I really have to watch what I say". YA THINK!?!

For the record, David did accomplish his objective to reduce the tenure down to 4 years.

No comments: